How to find a good estimator?
Posted on: June 20, 2022
Estimator plays a crucial role in the success of a construction company. A good estimator can be of great value to the company. However, finding a good estimator can be a challenging task. This blog covers some of the things that you can do to successfully find a good estimator.
5 ways to find a talented estimator:
- Create an informative job post: It all starts with creating an informative job post. The job post should include a brief overview of the company, the name of the position you are looking to fill, responsibilities, ideal candidate requirements, wages, benefits, any other details like certifications, etc. Most companies are not able to find the right candidates just because they don’t spend adequate time posting an ad with the desired description. Most employers think that sponsoring the ad with more money is the way to go. This is one of the biggest reasons why most companies claim that their job posting receives a lot of unqualified job applications but very few qualified applicants. In today’s scenario where we are experiencing labor and skilled employee shortage, skilled employees are at the advantage of applying only to the jobs that they think are most relevant to them.
- Offer competitive wages and benefits: It is needless to say that salary is one of the biggest factors that come into play. Most of the time companies try to hire less skilled candidates over skilled ones just because they are not able to afford the salary being asked by the skilled candidates. Hiring a candidate with lesser skills can definitely lead to some short-term savings but can cost more in long term. Other than salary, benefits also play a crucial role in attracting skilled job applicants. Always mention all the benefits that are being offered in the job posting.
- Post your job on all relevant platforms: Many companies stick to a single platform for posting all their jobs. However, we recommend, posting jobs on all the relevant platforms.
- Showcase your company culture: This is where the company’s reputation comes into play. If your company is new, we recommend getting a website done. On the website, there should be at least one page dedicated towards company’s culture and careers.
- Call potential candidates for initial screening and invite selected candidates for a final interview: This is the final and most important step. Now, that you have received several job applicants. The next step is to spend a good amount of time screening the received resumes and phoning the potential candidates for initial screening. Based on the outcome of the phone interviews, contact the selected candidates for an interview.
Finding and retaining the right candidate can be a challenging task in the construction industry. But the above-mentioned ways can definitely help you in getting a step closer towards attracting potential candidates.
If you are still having trouble finding an estimator and are not able to get your quotes out. Then, we recommend using a quantity takeoff or cost estimation service.